Monday, September 19, 2011

Keeping Spirits High (or how to maintain morale in and out of post)

If my individual case is typical, and according to unofficial statistics it is, the time between taking the FSOT and actually getting to A-100 is about two years. Two years is also the typical length of an overseas posting (unless you're a rockstar in a hardship post.) I'm not intimating that applying for the FS is really akin to being in the FS, but I imagine the two year carousel of document filing, anxious preparation, and endless waiting can only be considered "excellent practice".

There are, of course, differences. My buddy Jerrod in Abuja would likely give almost anything to go out and grab a few slices of NYC pizza for lunch, as I did today. Lots of fine folks in the FS suffer through spotty internet access, vegetables that need to be bleached before consumption, rampant pollution, serious security concerns, and bloggy tigers.

Those same folks also have enhanced access to travel, intellectual stimulation, an excellent international community of friends and coworkers, and the pride and honor that comes with serving the interests of one's country. Much as I like pizza and internet (and I like those things a LOT), what I'm really excited about are the real things. Even close to the finish line, as I imagine myself to be now, I find myself struggling to maintain my enthusiasm and excitement for the dream job.

So, with that in mind, a big shout out to Beau Geste, Mon Ami is in order. The man is truly unflappable, and seems to find earnest joy and incomparable humor in everything he does. Blogs like his keep me fresh and excited, and I can't get enough of them.

So I ask you, dear readers: who do you read when you need a little "pick-me-up"? Whose stories excite your sense of wonder?

Thanks as always-
V

0 comments:

Post a Comment