Sunday, January 2, 2011

You will be sorely missed

While making my blog rounds yesterday, I noticed that the long defunct blog of "The Hegemonist" has now lapsed entirely, and his site now contains only a stock placeholder page. 

Though The Hegemonist hadn't posted for a year or so, he had a very high google ranking and a series of informative pages about the FSOT and the career itself.  When I first set out to take the test, The Hegemonist's guide was an indispensable resource.  It was the first thorough, modern guide I found with frank and useful advice, and I must have read it twenty times.  Despite being inactive for a year, it's still holds the #4 page rank for "foreign service blog".

This is a particular loss for me, as I had taken it upon myself to periodically patrol the comments section and answer questions posed there.  Since many people found The Hegemonist long before they ever found the FS yahoo group or other resources, they seemed to have a lot of questions with simple answers I knew.  Knowing the answers to these questions really helped me feel as if I was well prepared, so I kept answering them (all the while linking to this site, mind you).

And now it's all gone, which seems to me a little sad.  So goodbye and fare well, Hegemonist.  Here's hoping we meet some day, and I get the chance to properly thank you.

1 comments:

Brian... said...

Might be time to write a new overview, eh? I appreciated Hegemonist's site as well, though I didn't use it when applying I found it useful to link to for people who found my blog and had questions.

Post a Comment